Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 108 - Champion!

Victory!!!  Today I conquered two of my worst fears, needles and blood.  The thought of either is enough to make me cringe, but the combination undoubtedly reduces me to tears.  As was the case this morning when I donated blood.

Charlie and I are broke and I have practically no free time, so donating blood is an ideal way for me to give back to my community.  Well, ideal except for the fact that I would rather run naked through a parade route while suffering from a severe case of the chicken pox with my hair set on fire than have a needle and a bag of blood anywhere near me.

Although the blood bank workers made the process as simple and comfortable as possible, I was a wreck.  The blood mobile felt like a tiny torture trap.  As I sat waiting in the reclining chair, I became more and more visibly distraught.  The workers kept asking me my name just to make sure I was still lucid.  I politely asked the gal working with me to skip any information that wasn't necessary and to go ahead and do what she needed to do.

Two of my classmates got a good laugh as I proceeded to silently cry when "the action of which we do not speak" occurred.  Although I'm embarrassed they saw me in that state (I try to go for a more intimidating persona over blubbering baby), but I was happy to have them there for comic relief.  With their help, I was able to get through the rest of the process relatively stress free.  Up until the point I made the mistake of looking down, that is.  Let's just say I didn't wear water proof mascara and anyone who looked at my cheeks knew it.

After enjoying some juice and crackers, I was more than happy to be on my way.  I felt off for a few hours, but nothing too bad.  After class and a street law meeting, I crawled into bed and stayed there for the rest of the night.  The folks on the blood mobile said no exercise tonight, so I listened (as if they really had to twist my arm... then again, I don't want to think about what they did to my arm... those bad bad people...).

Tomorrow is full of street law, objection and Zumba.  Yes!  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment