Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day 25 - Bad Choices

The day started out well.  I got up and went for a 3 mile run around my neighborhood.  Each shoe felt like it weighed 50 lbs and the cold air stung in my chest, but I finished.  I think I'll take a day off of running and do something lower impact to give my legs a break.  They felt like rubber by the time I got back.  I lost my balance when I kicked off my running shoes, resulting in the banging my "funny bone" on the wall... which turned out not to be so funny.

After some swearing and a shower, I headed down to GU for trial team practice.  We put on a full practice round, both plaintiff and defense presenting their full cases.  Our competition is now less than a week away and I am starting to feel more confident that we are, in fact, going to win.  Some (most) may call that arrogance, but I like to think of it as a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

If there is one thing that I've learned through this experience, it's that I LOVE LITIGATION!  For the most part, law school is awful.  I am certain, however, that being lawyer will be awesome.  Litigating is the perfect meld of my talents (exercising compassion and being argumentative while putting on a show for the jury).  Again with the arrogance, but I can't help it.  I've found my calling and am excited to see where it takes me.

Before my head gets much more inflated, I must also share the low points of my day.  I mad some BAD choices in terms of consumption.  After practice, I CRAVED pizza rolls.  Charlie and I lived on pizza rolls in college and for some reason I had to have them today.  They weren't nearly as good as I had remembered, but that didn't stop me from eating 2 servings worth.  I was starving (impatient), so while they were cooking I had three chocolate chip cookies.  Why three?  Because one wasn't enough and I am not a fan of even numbers.  It's fascinating how much less sense that makes now that I've written it for the universe to read, but at the time my logic seemed spot on.

Having gorged on pizza rolls and cookies, I decided to skip dinner.  Had I known then how much alcohol I'd consume later that night, I probably would have made a different choice.  One of Charlie's co-workers was celebrating his 30th birthday at the piano bar and since we didn't have a high school dance to attend we decided to go out for the night.  Charlie and I going out is about as rare as a Cougar football win (sorry Cougs, but it's getting ridiculous).  I don't want to know how many miles it will take to burn off the calories from the booze.  Don't get me wrong, we had a great time.  But the day after you start to think that three shots after two sugary mixed drinks and a glass of wine was probably a bit excessive.  Live and learn!

That said, I think I'm going to lay off the sauce until finals are over.  I rarely drink to begin with, but it's definitely time for me to buckle down and focus.  Plus, when I am struggling with each step on my way to summiting Mt. Rainier, I doubt I'll regret having skipped a glass of wine every now and then in exchange for running a few more miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment