Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day 66 - Best Day of the Year

Today was my favorite day of the year.  For nine years in a row now, Charlie and I have watched the Nutcracker together during the holiday season.  Tonight we were thrilled to have our good friends Maggie and Brian join us.

The plan was to go to the Melting Pot for dinner, so I decided to go for a good run outdoors to try to offset the ridiculous amount of chocolate and cheese I planned to consume.  I set off on my 5 mile course and quickly realized this was not going to be an easy run.  The cold air painfully stung with each breath and my muscles were exhausted.  I wound up walking a few stretches, which left me utterly disappointed. 

In order to feel confident in my marathon training, I would like to be a able to comfortably run between 3 to 5 miles daily before I start a true marathon training program.  Still needing to walk some means that I may need to refocus my workout efforts on marathon prep.  Unfortunately, snow is back in the forecast for the next few days, so this may have been my last outdoor run for awhile.  I have a feeling that the treadmill and I are about to become very close.

After the run, the hubs and I got all dolled up for our big date.  Dinner was delicious, but I definitely overindulged.  I used to have unwavering will power, but the lure of the fondue pot was far too tempting. 

Having seen the Nutcracker so many times, I have become a bit of a Nutcracker snob.  The Spokane Symphony/Memphis Ballet rendition was beautiful, but it couldn't hold a candle to the Pacific Northwest Ballet.  Still, I'm glad to continue in the tradition of going every year.  Charlie is a good sport for taking me each year and it is a night I look forward to all year long.

After the ballet, we went out to a club called Raw for one of Charlie's co-worker's going away party.  Abbey has become a good friend and we wish her all the best in Portland! 

No comments:

Post a Comment